If you want to carry out any of the following licensable activities on a one-off or occasional basis you will need to serve a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) :

  • Sell alcohol by retail
  • Supply hot food or hot drink after 23:00 or before 05:00 on any day.  This includes takeaways, caf├ęs, mobile hot food vans and any other venue providing hot food or hot drink
  • Provide regulated entertainment such as performance of a play, exhibition of a film, indoor sporting events, boxing and wrestling, live or recorded music (or similar) and performance of dance (or similar)

You will also need a TEN if you intend to hold an event where tickets are sold stating alcohol is "free" (e.g. "a free glass of wine on entry").

TENs may also be used by licensed premises who want to increase the scope of their licence for a one-off event (e.g. allowing an extra hour for the supply of alcohol on a special occasion).

You still need a TEN even if the activities are for charity.

Large scale events which are likely to attract over 500 people will require a Premises Licence instead of a TEN.

Find out more about licensable activities

More pages about TENs

Help us improve our website

We would like to improve our website navigation. Help us understand how people find our services.

Take part

Become a website tester

If you would like to be contacted by a member of our team to help us understand how people use our website please leave your details below.


To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 3.1 (7 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.