Concerned about a child?
If you have a concern about a child or young person, please call the Children and Families Duty and Assessment Team on 01225 396312 or 01225 396313
If outside of office hours please call the Emergency Duty Team on 01454 615165
If a child or young person is in immediate danger then please dial 999 and ask for police assistance.
For deaf and hearing impaired service users please follow these instructions:
Text EDT with your name and message to 60066.
You will be sent an immediate autoreply to confirm that your text has been received.
You will be contacted by an EDT officer via text to discuss your concerns. This should happen within 30 minutes although during busy periods this may take longer.
Your texts should cost your standard network charge.
I am concerned about a child, what should I do?
We have two entry points to Children’s Social Care Services in this authority.
1. Children and Families Duty and Assessment Team
The Duty and Assessment Team provide the first point of contact if you need to talk to someone about a child or young person, or request a service from Children's Social Care. Our team help any children aged 0-18 years old and their families in need or who are at risk of harm. Our aim is to promote the safety of children, and to put families in touch with services that can meet their needs and make a positive difference in their lives. We offer advice to anybody who may have concerns for their own children, or anybody else’s children that they believe are having difficulties, or are at risk of harm.
You can contact the team by:
- Dropping into Council Connect at Keynsham One Stop Shop, Market Walk, Keynsham, BS31 1FS and ask for the Duty Children’s Social Worker
- Calling the duty telephone numbers: 01225 396312 or 01225 396313
- Completing a request for service form.
- Please email the form to: ChildCare_Duty@bathnes.gov.uk. If you have a Government secure email account using GCSX or CJSM please use:Childcare.duty@bathnes.GCSX.gov.uk
- Send by Fax: 01225 395416 (this is received by the duty team via email)
- Send by post: Children and Families Duty and Assessment Team, People and Communities Department, Bath & North East Somerset Council, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG
For more information about our threshold for assessment, please refer to the Threshold for Assessment document.
2. Disabled Children’s Team
If you would like to speak to us about a disabled child, the Disabled Children's Team is available to provide advice and support to families based in Bath and North East Somerset.
- Located at – Keynsham Civic Centre
- Duty desk phone – 01225 396967
- Completing a request for service form and sending via either fax, email or post.
- By Fax: 01225 395416
- By email to ChildCare_Duty@bathnes.gov.uk. If you have a Government secure email account using GCSX or CJSM please use:Childcare.duty@bathnes.GCSX.gov.uk
- By post: Disabled Children's Team, People and Communities Department, Bath & North East Somerset Council, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1JG
Both teams are open 8.30am – 5pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 4.30pm Friday
If you are unsure of which team you need to speak with, you can call us on any of the numbers above and we will be happy to direct your referral to the appropriate team.
For urgent out of hours assistance call the Emergency Duty Team on 01454 615165
Due to the urgent nature of some of the work presented to the emergency team, they cannot guarantee they will always be able to speak to you right away. However, there will always be the opportunity for you to leave a message, from which they will contact you as soon as they can.
Link to the shared South West Child Protection Procedures
The Local Authority Designated Officer for managing allegations or safeguarding concerns against staff can be contacted on 01225 396810 Monday – Friday in office hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
To view our Frequently Asked Questions, please click here