Youth Connect provides a range of services for young people, from positive activities and advice through to individual support for those who need it the most for moving on into adulthood and work or training.
It includes the work of four youth hubs: Southside and Riverside in Bath, Peasedown St John, and Radstock, as well as the Mobile outreach hub service available in many locations across the area.
These provide a wide range of positive activities including sports, music, arts and craft, discussion groups plus advice and guidance on a range of issues affecting young people. All projects are part of the SAFE scheme which provides sexual health advice, C Cards and STI testing and a clinic run by fully qualified nursing staff.
Youth Connect can provide additional support for those who may need help getting into training, education or employment. This is provided by qualified Personal Advisers who can help with information about next steps to colleges, other training providers, apprenticeships and jobs. This work is carried out in schools, colleges and drop-in sessions at the Council One Stop Shops.
Examples of how Youth Connect has benefited young people include:
- A Personal Adviser helped a young person with mental health difficulties by researching and co-ordinating a tailored education and training package. This helped to build up their skills and confidence enabling them to rejoin mainstream education.
- A young man had been unemployed since leaving college and was being treated for anxiety and depression. Youth Connect supported him in developing his confidence and he has now joined The Prince’s Trust re-engagment/employability programme for unemployed young people.
- Youth Connect supported a young woman to realise her ambition of working with children. An Adviser helped her to apply for college and apply for a bursary as well as securing her a placement at a primary school. She is now at Bristol City College working towards her teaching qualification.
Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Cabinet Member for Early Years, Children, and Youth, Cllr Michael Evans (Conservative, Midsomer Norton North) said: “The transition from school to work is one of the most important life events and when it proves to be a struggle, Youth Connect is there to help. The results can be a life of stability and achievement, rather than relative chaos and dependency. So the service is a precious resource for the community to help young people at a crucial stage on the road to responsible adulthood, and hopefully for them to have some fun at the same time.”
Youth Connect will also continue to co-ordinate the Duke of Edinburgh Award in Bath & North East Somerset.
- Young People Launch New Poetry Book - News Story (Sept '16)
- Buckingham Palace DofE 60th Celebration Event - News Story
Check out our Contact details (including Personal Advisers) to talk to someone about Youth Support. You can also call 01225 396980 or email YouthConnect_SupportServices@bathnes.gov.uk or write to us at Youth Connect, Bath & North East Somerset Council, Lewis House, Manvers Street, Bath BA11JG.
- Compass, Mentoring Plus and Youth Connect - Who we are and what we do (leaflet)
Re-engagement and Pre-employment Programmes for Young People who are NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training) - April 2017
Youth Connect often have part-time vacancies for those who enjoy working with young people aged 13-19 years. Most vacancies are in youth hubs and for street work, and are for after-school and evening work. All staff must be qualified to a minimum standard NVQ level 2 or ideally level 3. Volunteering opportunities are also available.
Occasionally we have full-time vacancies. These staff would need a substantial amount of experience and ideally should be already qualified to a minimum level 4 standard.
For all vacancies go to Bath & North East Somerset Job Vacancies or contact Youth Connect on the details on the left.
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.