The Dog Warden Service aims to:
- Provide a service that informs dog owners of their responsibilities and support compliance of the law and;
- Protect members of the public from issues arising from irresponsible dog ownership such as straying dogs; fouling; aggression and nuisance.
The Dog Wardens role:
- Collecting and reuniting stray dogs
- Educating the public on responsible dog ownership through campaigns, talks and providing information
- Promoting awareness and guidance on dog legislation
- Enforcing legislation that applies to nuisance dogs, microchipping and straying
- Working with community groups to promote responsible dog ownership
The Council employs two full time Dog Wardens to carry out these duties. They operate Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, and until 4.30 pm on Friday. There may be times when the Dog Wardens are unavailable due to demands on the service.
The Dog Warden Service does not deal with:
- Dangerous Dogs – Contact the Police. If an emergency call 999 immediately. If it's a non emergency call 101.
- Animal Welfare - Contact the RSPCA in the first instance if you have concerns about the welfare of a dog or other animal.
- Rehoming – Contact Bath Cat and Dogs Home or other rehoming organisations
Who to contact
Contact Council Connect on 01225 39 40 41:
- To report a lost dog
- To report a contained stray dog
- To report fouling
- To report details of known offender of fouling
- To report a dog attack on an animal
Contact the Environmental Protection Team on 01225 477551.
- To report a persistent barking dog
Contact the Police on 101 unless an emergency where you should dial 999
- Dogs acting in a dangerous or aggressive manner (giving people reasonable fear of attack)
- Dogs worrying livestock on agricultural land
- Road traffic collisions involving dogs
- Control of guard dogs
- Dogs being used for illegal purposes (i.e. poaching, fighting, coarsing)
- Dogs in cars on hot days
Other Council services
Other useful websites
Please use this form to report issues with the content of this page. If you wish to contact somebody about the service provided, please use the contact details found in the 'Contact Us' section of this page.