The Council’s Modern Libraries Programme sets out a new vision for the delivery of community run library services across the area.
The aim of this new approach is to build on existing, successful community library projects in the B&NES area and develop new provision - with upfront investment advice and professional support from the council - where volunteers run their own services which are tailored to their communities’ needs.
The Council has been working with local communities and parish councils to move some existing branch libraries onto a community run model.
The following list includes all community libraries considered under this programme at their current stage of development.
- The Link at Bishop Sutton approved on 12th July 2018 - ** now open
- The Library at Chew Valley School - EOI received, awaiting full application
- Existing - Larkhall Community Library
- Moorland Road Community Library - application received to be considered
- The Hub, Paulton approved on 23rd October 2018
- Peasedown St John Community Library - application received to be considered
- Saltford Community Library, Saltford approved on 12th July 2018 - **now open
- Southside Hub, Bath - EOI received, awaiting full application
- Weston Community Library, Weston, Bath approved on 12th July 2018 - **now open
Supporting local communities to develop their own approach to community libraries makes this service more sustainable in the longer term and gives local people more say over how they are run and what is on offer.
Please visit our Libraries and Customer Services for the Future pages.