house with scaffolding

You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to:

  • build something new
  • make a major change to your building, eg building an extension
  • change the use of your building

To help you determine whether you need planning permission you can use the "Do you need permission?" and "Interactive House" guidance and tools available on the Planning Portal's website.

Alternatively you can fill in our Householder Development Planning Questionnaire form and send it to us and we will check this for you.  This is a chargeable service, for information and access to the downloadable form please go to the Householder Development Planning Questionnaire web page.  If your enquiry is on the need for planning permission to alter or widen your vehicle access please refer to the guidance here.

Once you know you need planning permission we offer a pre-application advice service for planning and for listed building applications, for more information on this service and the fees associated with it please go to our Pre-Application web page.

PLEASE NOTE: Development commenced after 6 April 2015 using permitted development rights may be liable to pay a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) charge.  View further information and guidance on CIL. 

Amendments to permitted development rights

From the 6 April 2016 - Permitted Development Rights changes including amendments to changes of use to dwellinghouses, please go to the regulations for more information.

For a period of six years, between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019, householders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development.  View the Prior Notification for Householder Permitted Development form and guidance.

From the 15 April 2015 - The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 came into force. Included more change of use between shops and financial and professional services, allowing the change of use to restaurants or leisure use, and the previously time-limited right for larger rear extensions to dwelling houses is to be extended until 30 May 2019.

The Planning Practice Guidance (external link) sets out when planning permission is required and different types of planning permission which may be granted.  The DCLG have also produced a useful Guide on householder permitted development (PDF).

Houses in multiple occupation and planning permission (Council web page)

Other useful links

Listed Buildings (Council web page)

Is your property listed? (Council web page)

Householder Permitted Development Checklist for energy efficiency and domestic renewables (Council web page)

Demolition and Planning Permission (Council web page)

Satellite Dishes (Council web page)

Conservation Areas (Council web page)

Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Council web page)

Dropped Kerbs (Council web page)

Roads, highways and pavements (Council web page)

Works to Trees form and guidance notes (Council web page)

Guidance on the permeable surfacing of front gardens (DCLG web page)

Planning Advertisement Control (Council web page)

Flyposting (Council web page)

Informal Guidance Note: Non-domestic renewable energy in the Green Belt in Bath & North East Somerset (Council web page)

Glossary of Planning Terms (Council web page)

Pre-application advice (Council web page)

Apply for Planning Permission (Council web page)

Frequently Asked Questions (Council web page)

Frequently Asked Questions regarding the application process (Planning Portal web page)

Further Planning advice and guidance can be found listed on the right of this page. 

New building work will often need to comply with the Building Regulations. These prescribe minimum standards for health and safety. The Planning Portal website also provides advice on Building Regulations (external link). If you would like further advice, please contact Building Control.


This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information.

Your rating: 

Your rating: None Average: 1.8 (6 votes)
To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.